We Remember: 9/11 Events In D.C. Area | Community Spirit
There are select events scheduled across the D.C. area in remembrance of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001.
- The National Museum of the Marine Corpscommemorates the anniversaryof 9/11 with the temporary exhibit ’9/11 – We Remember,’ which features an I-beam from the World Trade Center and a Pentagon building fragment as well as inspiring stories of extraordinary efforts that have been taken to keep America safe since that fateful day. The exhibit invites visitors to share their memories of the day that ushered in a “new reality” for all Americans while also paying tribute to a generation that has borne the burden of our security during a decade of war. The exhibit also pays tribute to the resilience of the American people and the stubborn defiance of the Corps and its Marines. Visitors will see that defiance in the display of a Marine Corps flag found standing upright near a sheered edge of the Pentagon, maintaining a silent vigil over the rubble of the damaged building. The flag, like the Marines it represents and the Nation they serve, never faltered under the terrorist attack.
- Tribute to Service: Join Serve DC & HandsOn Greater DC Cares and hundreds of volunteers on Tuesday September 11, 2012 in downtown Washington, DC for 9/11 11th anniversary commemorative event.The event includes food truck vendors, a community outreach fair, mini service projects, emergency preparedness demos, local artists and musicians, and remarks by community, local and federal leaders. The September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance is a positive and forward-looking way for Americans and others to forever honor and remember the September 11, 2001 victims and survivors, as well as those who rose in service, including first responders, recovery workers, volunteers, public safety officers and military servicemen and women.
- Manassas 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb: The mission of the Manassas 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb, and that of all climbs across the country, is to honor the men and women who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. This event takes place at 7900 Sudley Rd. Manassas, Va. 20109.
- “My Good Deed”: Please join The Mission Continues, 9/11 Day Observance, The Corporation for National and Community Service and Volunteers of America Chesapeake on Tuesday, September 11, 2012 to remember and honor those lost on 9/11 by serving at a community apartment center. Eastern Avenue Apartments offers supportive services to low income adults and families on their way to self-sufficiency. 250 volunteers will beautify the Eastern Avenue Apartments by landscaping, planting flowers, painting the community rooms and more. Be sure to wear clothes you won’t mind getting dirty as well as closed-toed shoes. Location: Volunteers of America Chesapeake – Eastern Avenue Apartments, Seat Pleasant, Md. Time: 8am-12pm (registration begins at 7:30am)
- 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony: Event to remember those who died, and pay tribute to those in the community and in uniform who responded on 9/11. The tribute includes the “Return to Quarters” bell-ringing ceremony and a musical tribute. The event takes place at Market Square on 301 King St., in Alexandria, Va. Time: 6:30-7 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Silver Spring
Most popular stories from nearby communities
Where All is Well and Support is at its Best!
A full service landscaping company