SILVER SPRING, Md. (WUSA9) -- A Montgomery County Fire spokesperson said one Silver Spring family is lucky to be alive after a massive fire ripped through their home early Saturday morning.
The spokesperson confirmed the three-story home on the 4000 block of Bennion Rd. did not have working smoke detectors.
Thankfully, Joseph Roberts told WUSA9, his future son-in-law, Esteban Vales, woke to heavy smoke and jumped into action.
"My Mom, he literally carried her out of the house, across the street," said Roberts who later described his mother to be 86-years-old and at home, very sick on hospice. Thanks to Vales, Roberts, his mother, wife, daughter, future son-in-law and a small child all made it out safely. The family's several pets, which include dogs, a cat, rabbit and turtle, also survived. However, the home Roberts said he grew up in, is now a burnt shell.